For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and self-control. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity, but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 2 Timothy 1:6-10.
Today your LORD (יהוה) God says:
I have called you to be My own. I have a calling on each person’s life. It is deep within you, like the call of migration that I have put in birds, butterflies, and fish, which is part of their very being. It is a call of eternity. I have made everything beautiful in its time. I have also set eternity in your heart. You have a calling for your life on earth and a calling to eternity. Ecclesiastes 3:11. They both start now. And My gifts and My call are irrevocable. They are yours, whether you choose to steward My gifts to you and receive My calling and walk it out with Me though is up to you.
I have saved you and called you with a holy calling, not according to your works, but according to My own purpose and grace which was granted you in Christ Jesus from all eternity. 2 Timothy 1:9. You have gifts and you have a calling. They are in you for good and not evil, to give you a fruitful life and a future and a hope. They fulfill that inner longing in your heart that looks for MUCH MORE than just to stand idle all day and clutter up the ground and other people’s lives. I bless you to be a blessing.
How do you answer the call on your life? Jesus tells you, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.” Revelation 3:20. He also invites you to come to Him, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30. When Andrew and John first had Jesus pointed out to them by John the Baptist they started following after Him. He turned and asked them what they were seeking. You might ask yourself that too, what are you seeking in life? You find what you seek. They asked Jesus a question rather than giving an answer, and yet it was an answer and not only a question, “Rabbi (teacher), where are You staying?” And what did He answer? “Come and you will see.” So they came and saw where He was staying; and they stayed with Him that day. John 1:35-39. And on that day, they found their calling. And they brought others together that received the call also.
First, you must be seeking your calling. Paul prayed that the eyes of your heart would be enlightened to the hope of My calling. And you must open your heart to receive and embrace My call. Like Isaiah, even if you are not sure yet, let Me know you are ready and willing, “Here I am LORD, send me!” And like Samuel, before he even knew My voice, “Speak LORD, your servant is listening.” And like Mary when she received her calling, “Behold, the handmaid of the LORD, be it done onto me according to your Word.”
Be willing (those who are willing and obey will eat the best of the land), be open, and do not worry. Your good Shepherd will lead you out of dark valleys to paths of righteousness for His Name’s sake.
Do you see now it is in Jesus that you will receive and know your calling? I speak to you in this age of grace through My Son. He is the way, the truth and the life. He is My arm with which I reached down to save you and carry you to safety. He is your good Shepherd and your great High Priest. And He baptizes you in the Holy Spirit, and all who are My children are led by My Holy Spirit. “So Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.’ And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit.’” John 20:20-21.
Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you. Keep asking, seeking, and knocking and you will receive, find and enter My perfect Will for your life. I give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Me. And I do not ration My gift of the Holy Spirit.
How do you recognize your call?
- It will be in keeping with My Word. I never violate My Word. Always discern if it is My call by looking for a witness in My Word, that is, a Scripture that backs it up perfectly. “Then the LORD stretched out His hand and touched my mouth, and the LORD said to me, “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.” Jeremiah 1:9. John the Baptist, Mary, Jesus—all found Scriptures that referred to their calling and there is one or more for you also. My Holy Spirit will guide you to that Scripture.
- It will be a call to good works that give Me glory. “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16.
- It will give you power to be a witness to Jesus. “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.” Acts 1:8.
- It will be you doing the works Jesus did and greater. “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.” John 14:12. “You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” Acts 10:38.
- It will be a gift that you employ in serving others as a good steward of My manifold grace. “As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever.” 1 Peter 4:10-11.
- It will be transgenerational, that is, it will influence those to come and go down the generations. “For He established a testimony in Jacob and appointed a law in Israel, which He commanded our fathers to teach to their children, that the coming generation would know them— even children yet to be born— to arise and tell their own children that they should put their confidence in God, not forgetting His works, but keeping His commandments.” Psalm 78:5-7. “One generation shall praise Your works to another and shall declare Your mighty acts.” Psalm 145:4. “They shall speak of the glory of Your kingdom and talk of Your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and Your dominion endures throughout all generations. Psalm 145:12-13. Your calling produces fruit that endures.
- You will have peace that passes understanding. “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:4-7.
Rejoice, pray, thank, ask, seek, and knock. And then don’t worry. You will be answering My call.
I love you. Be willing and obedient to My Word as written and all else will follow. Seek My Kingdom and you will find all. Ruth did not know what led her to the field of Boaz, she thought it was by chance, but it was not. If your eyes are on Me, as hers were, I am leading you even when you are not aware of it. Just keep walking with Me and you will find you are on the path of your calling.